[V4MD] Valentina XTRA on Windows?

Irv Kalb Irv at furrypants.com
Thu Nov 6 12:58:50 CST 2008

Hi,

Totally basic question here - and I can't find any information in the
documentation.

I have ported a large Director MX 2004 application to now run using
Valentina.  I did all the development on a Mac.  Now we are starting
to test on Windows.  And right off the bat, I've run into a problem
that I can't solve.  When I try to start up my program - it can't
find the Valentina XTRA.  Unfortunately, the documentation doesn't
say anything about this.

I went to the Paradigma web site, and downloaded the XTRA for the PC.
Actually, it downloaded an installer (which surprised me).  I ran the
installer and it asked where it should install stuff.  Since the
manual doesn't say anything about how this works, I just let it
default to installing into C:\Program Files\Valentina
Software\V4MD_3.  When it finished installing, I saw the following
files:

   Examples (folder)
   ADK_EULA.rtf
   Readme.rtf
   V4MD.x32

Assuming that V4MD.x32 is the actual XTRA, I then copied that file,
and pasted into:

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Xtras

I look at the Xtras folder now and it looks like this:

   Core (folder)
   Media Element (folder)
   Scripting (folder)
   Tool (folder)
   Transition folder
   <A number of other 3rd party XTRAs (like BUDAPI.X32) here>
   V4MD.x32

Then I opened Director, opened my program, and tried to run.  It
immediately stopped at a line:

  pxValentina = new (Xtra("Valentina"))

with an error message saying "Symbol expected"

So then I opened one of the example Director files that got
installed, and tried to run that.  It stopped at a similar line

  x = new (Xtra("Valentina"))

with an error message saying "Xtra not found ... "Valentina")

Also ... If I go to the message window and do a "put the XTRAlist" I
see the following in the list:

[#name: "v4MD.x32, #version: "3.5.2"]

OK, what am I missing?  I've been working with Director for many many
years, so this is not a newbie thing, but I don't understand why it
is not finding the XTRA.

Any help would be appreciated,

Irv
--