the barriers to new users to valentina

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:33:05 CDT 2008

put revOpenDatabase(valentina, "", "/Users/administrator/Desktop/libDatabase
2/Recipes Stack/recipes", , , , ' "")

If you are a new user to valentina and you want to test it with runtime
revolution you might download the employee database stacks from the
valentina website (after you find them -- personally I think there should be
an example stack that downloads with the trial install init).

When you start the first lesson stack you will get an error message in
runrev 2.9 because it will not open the database.

If you go into the runrev documentation and try their examples none of them
work.

--

On a positive side. Valentina Studio works great and I've been using it for
a year now. Also the database query builder in RunRev works fine for testing

__

PLEASE CONSIDER INCLUDING A SIMPLE STACK!  Try using Trevor's excellent
Recipe stack but put in the connection info necessary to connect to a
valentina database. Include an example valentina database.

Make it simple!  Everytime I try to test Valentina with RunRev I go through
this and I think I will just tear up the expenses that I have spent paying
for valentina studio and go with SQLite because there are examples for how
to use it that work and because the documentation which comes with RunRev
for SQLite actually work.

I hope this email translates showing how frustrated I am. I also hope you
realize how much I want to use Valentina and how badly I want to be a loyal
customer. Just make connecting to Valentina using Trever's libdatabase
functions a little easier. I am so sick of trying

on RegisterDatabase

    *-- THESE CONNECTION SETTINGS WORK FOR A DEFAULT INSTALLATION OF MYSQL*

    *-- ON YOUR COMPUTER.  FOR ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF REGISTERING A DATABASE
*

    *-- SEE THE GETTING STARTED GUIDE THAT CAME WITH LIBDATABASE.*

    set the itemdelimiter to slash

    put the effective filename of the owner of me into theDBFile

    delete the last item of theDBFile

    put theDBFile & "/recipes" into theDBFile

    put "Valentina2"      into theConnectInfoA["Type"]

    put theDBFile  into theConnectInfoA["FilePath"]

-- I try "valentina" as the database type

-- I try "valentina3" as the database type

-- This email would get ridiculous (if it isn't already) with all the many
ways I have tried to get RunRev to connect to a valentina database (and one
which I know is good as it works with Valentina Studio).

    *libdb_registerDatabase* "RecipesDB", theConnectInfoA *# Associates
connection settings with "RecipesDB" key.*

end RegisterDatabase

PS -  Perhaps I am just not the type of customer you want to sell your
product to. Maybe only experienced programmers who find my problems child
like are your intended customers...

Is it really too difficult to include a basic example stack with clear
instructions with the trial download of your software for runtime
revolution?  Don't make your customers work so hard!