VCS -- Valentina Reports.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Mar 25 11:40:44 CDT 2008

On 3/25/08 6:31 PM, "Steve Wilson" <stevewilson at baluns.net> wrote:

Hi Steve,

> Hello again Ruslan,
>
> I would be interested in trying the beta if that's ok, the ADK I'm interested
> in is ODBC.
>

>> Well, we do not plan support of REPORTS via ODBC.
>>     how this can be made ???

> Most report designers I've ever used connect to the data by ODBC or JDBC by
> default - the connection method and properties are stored as part of the
> report template (which hopefully is XML).

Yes, we also have option of text file (INI) for a report,
And repository of many reports.

> As for calling/running the reports I would have thought a report server would
> be by far the best option, then you don't need to create new classes with
> methods for each individual ADK. The report name and any parameters can be
> passed from the client to the server in XML and the generated report can be
> returned from the server to the client as a file.

Okay I see.

We have name this "Generation of reports on server side" in our spec.
Right now we have implement this on CLIENT side, in the ADK itself.

Both ways have Cons/proc.

So we going implement both, but CLIENT side is more easy actually.
Because we not touch VSERVER At all to add this feature to most ADKs.

> This way also means you have one central repository for report templates which
> is much better if you need to edit a reports design - all users instantly get
> the revised version.

Right :-)

I will add - this also will allow TEAM development of project.
We have this on quite near TODO I believe.

> I would also have thought this would be better for you because it means your
> report designer and server could be used with databases other than Valentina
> making it a saleable product in its own right.

I see your point, although we always think:

    if we should make Valentina Studio a general kind GUI tool,
    for e.g. ODBC soure (i.e. MySQL, Postgre)...

    one man have point us - why you should help to mySQL or Postgre?

May be this is not good point, and may be we will do that in future.