Best Valentina way to link Tables

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 13 07:40:33 CDT 2008

On 6/13/08 3:24 PM, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi William,

> I've been looking at the various ways of linking tables (presently I just
> use SQL with a defined unique ID that is SHORT number).

So you talk about regular FOREIGN KEYS

> What is the best Valentina way to link Tables with these goals in mind...

I'd like to know what you mean with "BEST WAY"?   :-)

> 1. Almost always links are from one to many and often there is nothing in
> the table being linked to.

Ok for FK

> 2. When you delete a row in the main table I'd like anything that links to
> it to also be deleted.

This is CASCADE option for FK parameter ON DELETE

> 3. Ease of use for making a RunRev card with all the fields from the various
> linked to tables so that when you ask for the main ID everything comes up
> and you can edit and update easily every field that is in the different
> tables being linked to all in that one window so it will seem like it is all
> one hypercard card with fields on it even though it is many linked tables.

Popup menu?

You will need program it self of course.
To get list of IDs you will do some

    SELECT DISTINCT ID FROM T

> 4. I'd like to create all these links in Valentina Studio where I'm doing
> all my database design.

Ok,

When you are in the scheme editor, you see DATABASE object in the second
column. Right click - here find New Foreign Key Link. You will get dialog
about it. Specify params, OK it.  DONE.

Also you can in Vstuio do Make New diagram,
    then drag and drop Table you need, or add them via dialog,
    then use click and drag from field to field to link tables visually.