OID queries vs ObjectPtr. Inheritance.

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan at paradigmasoft.com
Wed Jun 11 05:39:21 CDT 2008

On 6/11/08 1:18 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at cognosis.be> wrote:

> Great to hear.
> Since I am in the middle of a redesign (as you can see on the
> bugreports about diagrams I am sending in ;-)) can I already design as
> if the functionality is available ?
> Would that be premature ?
>
> I guess I am asking if the functionality will be available in the next
> beta ( if not I will have to keep with the "old" style of solution).

Yes it will be in the beta.

What you use now? Vstudio only?  Or VSERVER also ?

Btw, I have not told you yet, I have got working on MAC

    (VSERVER + Reports)   =>   VPHP-64bit   PDF and JPGs
        without touching HDD

So next beta will get all this. And we delay beta exactly to get  OIDs
working as you need.

------------------
> Do I understand correctly that this has great impact on the usefulness
> of Objectpointers? Why would I still need objectpointers if I can have
> OID field type ?

I do not think so..

ObjectPtrs like FK  are
    1) links
    2) provide referential integrity.

OID field do not have such features. At least yet.
We have consider making of ObjectsPtr field. Note "s".

But it is more complex by functionality than ObjectPtr.
So not implemented yet.

> Having this functionality implies that relations are no longer defined
> on table level but on record level , correct ?

Yes.
But if this is so important and often?

Becides, if keep in mind upcoming Inheritance,
    then you can keep ObjectPtr on PARENT table of some family
    of tables, and be able in such way point set of childs.

Agree?

When I have think about these tasks and Object_s_Ptr,
    I have note that we can want reffer only some FAMILY of tables.
    but not ANY table of your db structure.

Agree?

> I see that the difference with a relation is that  OID is one way
> relation where objptr is 2 way correct ?

Really.

One more big difference.

Actually if think about hard-coded Object_s_Ptr field,
    which will be one more kind of LINK,
    and which will be specified not to ANY table of db
    but to e.g. 5-10 tables, then its possible search only this
    limited set of potential POINTER-TABLEs on this OID...

But as you see task is much more less effective comparing to ObjectPtr.

> Or should I shut up and be a good boy ?

Just I am not so sure yet about benefits of OID.
Many issues here can be which we do not see yet.

So far it can be used fine as global pointer on an OBJECT in the scope of
DB.