why does put revOpenDatabases() not work?

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Fri Jun 6 14:27:52 CDT 2008

Hi Wiliam,

On 2008-06-06, at 20:23, william humphrey wrote:

> I don't believe the latest thing I just figured out.
Congrats *g* - I know it was a bad thing, that you need to, but
happily you found it.

Some further comments ...

> The databases created
> with Valentina Studio which have have four files, a .blb file a .dat
> file
> and a .ind file and a forth file with no extension are not
> recognized by
> Runtime Revolution.

This is a glitch in some versions of VStudio - you select an extension
and VStudio cut it only to the dot or forget it completely. Second
"way" you forget to enter the ".vdb" in the dialog.

Simple solution, just rename (your databasename) to (your
databasename).vdb and you're done. Of course close VStudio before and
you need to select the newly named file afterwards.

> I do not know if they are Valentina3 or Valentina2 files as when
> looking at
> them in valentina studio 3.5.2 it calls them "Valentina V2 Database"
> and of
> course these are the files Valentina Studio makes when you say new
> database.
This is simple, if you know what it means.

There are the Valentina application versions like Valentina 2.5.8 or
3.5.6 ... AND then there is the version of the Databasefie.  Happily,
from the view of the developer, they didn't change the whole file
format when incrementing the "app" version. So everything is fine
here, Valentina 3.x applications still use the file format of
"Valentina V2 Database".

> Now the files that come as examples with a new V4REV_3 install all
> end in
> ".vdb" and these files open with Runtime Revolution but DO NOT OPEN IN
> VALENTINA STUDIO.
Are you sure you use the appropriately version of Valentina plugin?
Valentina is delivered with a Valentina V1 (AFAIR) plugin ways to old
and obviously Rev declined to change their distribution.

So when using the newest plugin in RunRev and the same version of
VStudio of course you should be able to open the created files vice
versa - BUT when not using a server of course not at the same time!

> I can't believe how difficult it is to figure out how to use
> Valentina with
> RunRev.
We know, there may be some room left to improve and be sure, we will
fill it up - on the other hand, RunRev MUST finally change their
distribution, docs, ... too. And I of course didn't know when or if
this will ever happen. For this part sorry for your inconvenience.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord