Differences between foreign links and binary links

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:16:41 CDT 2008

When you make a foreign link (using vStudio) there is a pop-up so that you
can tell the program where the key field is and where pointer field is.

When you make a link using binary links it doesn't ask where the key flds
are nor where the pntr fields are.

Because of this I thought that perhaps you were supposed to make a foreign
link first and then convert those links to binary links. I can't get my head
around how the binary links can work if they don't know where the key field
is and where the pointer field is.

But know I'm thinking about it and maybe somehow the binary link function
automatically goes out and finds which are the key flds and which are the
ptr fields?

I'm asking this because there are lots of interesting:

VTable_LinkCount( tblRef ) (r/o

VTable_Link( tblRef, inIntIndexOrStrName )

Which I'm trying to get to work although they seem to work for regular
foreign links as I can do the "VTable_LinkCount" successfully I'm just
unable to do the next step

IE: Use the VTable_Link to start bringing in records from my other tables.

Thanks for anyone who can help with this.