ODBC Mac

Beatrix Willius bwillius at gmx.de
Mon Jan 28 09:58:25 CST 2008

Hi Thorsten,

On 27.01.2008, at 19:09, Thorsten Hohage wrote:

> I don't get it. So what you want to do is to connect from FileMaker
> via ODBC to Valentina, right?
>
> Why don't you go the other way? Use a REALbasic app, connect to
> Valentina (of course using local file is possible) using the common
> V4RB classes and then connect to FileMaker via ODBC.

How would I do this? I thought I would need the Actual odbc drivers,
an odbc database (Valentina) and then Filemaker. Or do I only need
odbc on the Filemaker side?

> But of course AFAIK there is no free ODBC solution available for
> Mac OS X, so your customer need probably to pay for ODBC. Perhaps a
> better solution for small amount of data and not often used
> interfaces is to use the build in FileMaker WebInterface and an app
> the reading the data out of Valentina and pushes in FileMaker
> through the FM-Web-Companion?

The amount of data actually can be pretty huge and the export can be
used often. The Web Companion might have been an idea, if it would
work for Filemaker 8.5 on Leopard. But thanks for the idea, I will
check it.

> Just some wild thoughts on a sunday evening,

Any thought is appreciated.

Hi Lynn,

it's irritating to see products on the website mentioned, which are
actually not available. I'm sure you know the official name for this.

On 27.01.2008, at 21:11, Lynn Fredricks wrote:
> There is an ODBC Mac solution under development, but its not
> entirely done
> yet. We don't have a target date yet for it, I am afraid. Thorsten
> always
> has good ideas though :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: archive, clean and search email
http://www.beatrixwillius.de
Fractals, 3d landscapes etc.