Newbie question: Valentina 2.5.8 & Rev 2.8.1 on OS X: where's the windows vcomponents?

Russell Martin russell_martin at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 13:46:30 CST 2008

--- Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> Its nice to see that only starting to work with Valentina for Rev,
> You already thinking about deployment step :-)

The thing that got me thinking about deployment already was page 6 of
the "Valentina 2 for Revolution Reference" pdf that I downloaded and
was attempting to read. It points out where to look for VComponents and
how to copy them upon deployment. All I was doing was trying to read
and follow that based on the advice of one of the pages I landed on in
trying to navigate your confusing wiki.

> Short answer is:
>
>     * you need Windows and V4REV_WIN install there to get
>         windows DLLs.
>
> We do this on few reasons. One of them is Valentina is not small to
> pack all
> into single package. Second, e.
g. Is that from Windows you in any
> case will
> not be able produce MAC working app with V4REV.

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying there. Are you saying that it is
impossible to producing working crossplatform applications with
Valentina and Revolution unless you have both Valentina and Revolution
licenses on each of the platforms you want to deploy on? And, that the
free license you've given me will only allow me to deploy on one
platform? If your intention in handing out free licenses was to
increase sales, you won't win me as a customer by giving me something
that I can't use crossplatform.

> -------
> > Also, when & where will I need the serial number that I was sent?
>
> It looks you did not read this simple tutorials:

You're right. I never got there by following the advice in the email
that I was sent. I'm sorry to tell you this but, your wiki suffers from
a lack of focus, sprawl, and circular linkage. I got lost in the maze
and ended up at a page that said to download some pdfs (one about the
kernel and the other reference mentioned above.)

Again, I know you're trying to increase sales with this promotion and
you're probably sick of questions from noobs like me. However, right at
the moment, I'm thinking more about how to remove Valentina from my
system than how to continue to learn about it. Sincerely, I hate to
tell you this, but, your website with its lack of focus, circular
linkage, and poorly written documentation make learning about your
product begin to feel more trouble than it is worth. Maybe you should
consider getting a talented technical writer to clean things up a bit.
I'm sure your sales would increase if getting started with your product
wasn't so daunting.

Oh, and when you do a give away promotion, especially when you're
giving away the previous version of the product, give away something
that is truly useful. Had I received something that I could deploy
cross platform, I might have actually used it, grown to love it and
then purchased the upgrade. As it stands now, I will probably just
slink off and think 'what a bunch of tight fisted jerks who don't know
how to teach people how to use their product.' And if anyone ever asks
me about Valentina I'll have to say, 'I tried to use it once. They had
a free promo but they were only giving out licenses good on one
platform. That and their hard to navigate website and crappy
documentation kept me from ever finding out if it was worth the trouble.'