Getting out... -> docs

Jeff Justice listaccount at starionline.com
Wed Feb 13 02:00:59 CST 2008

> 2) I still do not accept your claims about IF it looks like double
> clickable
> -- it should work.

Um, it's called Apple Interface Guidelines.  It's called common sense.

> Although it really works. And fact you see "No Response"
> in the Activity manager do not means that SERVER do not works. It
> still
> works perfectly, accepting socket connections.

No, it does not accept socket connections.  I wouldn't have complained
if that's all it was.

> 3) Claim that I cannot use VSERVER 6 months sounds just odd.
> Jeff, many people around ARE ABLE to use it. Valentina Server
> perfectly
> works if not double click it, but follow instead docs.
>    And you will get everything working in 2 minutes of installation,
>    or in 10 seconds run in the terminal.

No, I said VStudio.  And as of today, it still doesn't work correctly.

> 4) Okay, I have download RSS, run installer and what ???
>    * no readme,

Why need one?  The installer places the Admin utility in the
Applications folder where one would expect.

> * Activity monitor show it is not started

That's why you launch the Admin utility the first time and it shows
you plainly that the server is not started.  You click a button that
says "Start Server" and from there on out it's done.

>    * no ask to restart computer

Why restart computer when you've already started the service in the
Admin?

>    * no docs
>    * no folder shown with server or docs
>
>    NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>    and you tell me this is top of quality for SERVER installation ?
>    may be I am stupid of course....
>    or my brain is not tuned in the RSS way?  :-)

Everything is right where it should be.

> 5) after review of few pages of RSS I still cannot find any link to
> its
> admin.  This is Best ?

This is standard for almost every app I've ever installed.  It's in
the Applications folder.

> 6) Since I cannot find admin yet, I have not test this START/STOP
> feature,
> which you soo like. But so far I am asking question self:
>
>    * what if SERVER is on remote computer in other city, this
>        ADMIN feature also will work? Or it become useless?

Yes, it does work remotely, but does not offer start/stop of server.
This can be easily programmed however.

>   * is it vital for end-users, which should even do not see and not
> hear
>        background SERVER?  Answer is no.

Of course users want to know if the server is running or not.
Otherwise there is a problem.

>  * is it really more comfortable to our terminal way?
>        answer is no.

Yes, it is.  That's why I bought a Mac and not a Windows machine.

>  * is it faster in developer job than terminal? Answer is no.

It is for me.  Just because you don't think so doesn't make it not
faster for me.

> * does it show live log -- the paradise during development.
>        Answer is no.

Don't care.  My needs aren't that complex.  Besides, errors can be
EASILY scripted in realtime with with our app.

>  * does for end-users important if vserver_office looks like double-
> click
>        app or they do not care because this is deep system area
> location?

Yes, because if it isn't, it isn't following Apple Interface
Guidelines.  Again, you make assumptions about possible scenarios and
uses.  Which is why Apple created the guidelines.

> * and what prefer Valentina developer? To have all in single "file"
>        or like many files which dummy end-user can break more easy?
>        We think better all in one.

Agreed, however it still should launch correctly and it doesn't.

> 7) you have point you need in house development, okay.
>    so this will not be real life deployment of app which will be
> stressed
> by stupid end end users. And if your db is going to be tiny - around
> 1000
> records and few tables, RSS really may work for you.

> 8) But such people as Thorsten know, and he is modest to not given
> you one
> example :-)   his app around mySQL did some query about 5 minutes, and
> around Valentina it was 5-30 seconds, now in 3.5 it is about 0.1 sec
> as I
> remember.
>
>    Compare,
>        mySQL       5 min = 300 seconds
>        Valentina   0.1 - 1 sec
>
> And this was not huge table...just somehow complex form of SQL.
> What if table has millions records?

I have about 30 end users using our in-house app.  No problems so far
with a 8GB database of PDF's as blob fields, about 15,000 records and
several tables, but no complex SQL.  Near instantaneous queries.
Certainly not even 1 second, over the internet.  It takes longer to
pull the PDF down than to find the record.  Thorsten must really be
hammering his database with something complex.  We just do simple
indexed lookups.

> So my point is:
>    you really should use right tools for your tasks.

I thought I was.  But apparently Valentina is HUGE OVERKILL and
complication for what I need.

Jeff J.