Getting out... -> docs

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Tue Feb 12 14:08:25 CST 2008

Hi Jeff,

sorry, but I must comment on it. I really try to be quite on it but I
can't hesitate ...

On 2008-02-12, at 20:12, Jeff Justice wrote:

> I would also like to point out that we've been down this road before.
Yes and on many other topics, too.

>  Search through the list archives.
Oh, I did exactly what you suggested here. I found several mails and
threads initiated with one of your mails. But comparing the "feelings
of pain" you're now trying to express here, I found much fewer mails,
then expected. Of course there might be mails behind the scene, chats
with Ruslan and other Paradigma stuff I didn't know about.

IMHO most if not all of your mails are angry, aggressive, nerved or
stressed out - this might be due to the fact, that I'm not a native
speaker. There is no email "Please help me, I've an issue here..."
there is always "what the heck is this...why does it not work?".

>  You'll see that I have mentioned documentation several times along
> with other people.
And in many cases, I can't simply understand why. You asked for
documentation about licence files, VDN, ... all the things that well
documented and could be easily found in the wiki, of course not
"easily" as getting a big steak served at the table. And IMHO a
DEVELOPER must be able to do such a search and must be clearly able to
find such informations.

If you expect it in another way, more like an enduser, then you
perhaps should ask yourself what kind of application you're looking for.

Furthermore in several cases you got responses from this list or had
been directed to the appropriate point in the documentation. But do
you really care this answers?

Oh and talking about documentation, the first result in the wiki
search for "start Vserver" should have answered all your question
about VServer and start in Terminal, do you read it, before getting
upset?

> There was even talk from Paradigma of improving it, several people
> volunteered their help, and yet here we are having the same
> discussion.
And? Do you write any white paper for any new RB-Developer having
licence issues after you've mastered it?  I must admit I promised
Ruslan 2 or 3 articles months ago and my day business is still eating
them - sad but true. And I'm afraid it's the same for any other
developer claiming better docs here and working for long time with
Valentina. E.g.(!) Beatrix, where is your contribution?

> And people wonder why I'm frustrated with Valentina.
Perhaps in YOUR specific situation are completely frustrated and even
be able to find a better solution, or better believe you found a
better solution. I think a lot of us gets the "Valentina Blues" from
time to time, but prefer to improve it, then to look for alternatives.
And some already mentioned that there might be no real alternative for
them.

Is there not a company out there, that publicly announced to write
their own database after they believed to be disappointed by Valentina
and now while they still try to write it are happily using Valentina
again?

So in a global view, yes, I'm still wondering.

>  If you want specifics, why not just have a look at RealSQLServer's
> docs.  That's the kind of straightforward easy to read documentation
> I'm talking about.

Oh, some threads here:

	"Installing REALSQLserver" - sounds not as easy as one might believe

	"REAL SQL Server: uninstall" - uninstall seems not really to be easy
or even mac like

oh and I really like a posting from Mr. Palardy from 2007-06-13 in the
"Re: RB - is it usable" - thread. Read it very carefully, before you
go on the way you're currently choosing.

I stop here, even though I found so many more threads about
"REALSQLserver" , but this is the Valentina list, not the
REALSQLSERVER-List.

I really wish you success and satisfaction with your new db and really
try to be quite on this topic anymore.

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--