GROUP BY MONTH?

Paul Gaspar devlist at revolversoft.com
Sat Dec 27 22:42:31 CST 2008

Hi all,

is there any way to GROUP BY a datepart like MONTH or YEAR?

When I try this:

   SELECT mydate AS mytest, SUM(mynumber)
   FROM table
   GROUP BY MONTH(mydate)

then I get an unexpected token ( error. Also GROUP BY mytest does not
work (which is the syntax for a HAVING clause).

Of course there is an workaround with methods mydate_year=YEAR(mydate)
and same with month:

   SELECT mydate AS mytest, SUM(mynumber)
   FROM table
   GROUP BY mydate_year, mydate_month;

This works, but then I have to create methods for every possible
datepart (like week, quarter), which is not very nice.

Thanks,

Paul