Justin we need your help on V4CC about cursor kill

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Dec 23 08:39:43 CST 2008

On 12/23/08 2:05 PM, "Justin Drury" <justin at soundminer.com> wrote:

Hi Justin,

Thank you for reply. I CC to Valentina list. I think discussion can be
interesting to others.

1) idea of NSAutoreleasePool  looks to be the only real legal way...
    Hmm. And does it work fast?

2) so you vote strictly against remove autorelease?

3) The most strange thing for me is that they do not give us real way
control WHEN we release resources used by objects as RECORD LOCKS.

If I not mistake in NET to resolve this issue, each class inherits method
Dispose(), which we can call to FORCE object release everything. After this
call object becomes invalid.

May be you have hear about such tips for ObjC development?

4) db.SqlSelect() -- I cannot name this method as GET method.
    it is FACTORY. This method create new instance of object.
    If we call it 10 times we get 10 new objects.

    GET method return 10 times ref to the same object.
    GetField(), getTAble(), ...

    agree?

    The same is true for
        Database, Cursor, Sets, SetIterator

    It is not true for
        Table, Field, IndexStyle, Link,

5) I am not sure I agree with you that retain is bad style in our case.
I read this page and I do not read such strict rule that returned object
MUST be autoreleased... Can you give me some points.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/Concept
s/ObjectOwnership.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000043

6) will be great if you will be online and we talk more about this not in
rush way...