Valentina for iPhone - Discussion.

gary hayenga vandg at speakeasy.org
Wed Dec 10 12:03:54 CST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 7:40 AM, valentina-request at lists.macserve.net wrote:

> If a simple interface is too simple to be useful, an interface with
> a lot of
> common sense set as default would do nicely.
> Most iPhone apps only use a handful of tables and few views.

Actually there is a very good Cocoa/Objective-C wrapper for SQLite3 on
the iPhone, called FMDB, by Gus Mueller, or I have also used Plausible
Database, which is based on FMDB.  These are free and provide a clean
and easy to use set of Objective-C classes.

I haven't used *large* datasets on the iPhone, but SQLite feels quite
quick.  You can also compile your own version of SQLite and include
that, if for instance you want full-text indexing, that isn't included
in the version on the iPhone.

The advantages I can see that Valentina would have over SQLite would
be it's support for foreign key constraints, nested transactions and
more complete alter table support.  That is the SQL92 things of
course, not counting the extra Valentina features.  Speed might be an
advantage as database size grows, but mainly there could be a
tremendous synching advantage here.   There aren't currently any
database drivers, including ODBC, for the iPhone, so any communication
with MySQL or other RDBMs can't simply be done with binary data over
TCP/IP, but has to be done via web services and XML, if it could be
done with VServer, and the licensing fees weren't too onerous, that
would be extremely useful.

The (possible) disadvantages that I see are, the size overhead it
would add to each app and possibly how much RAM it uses.  I've only
used Valentina 1 and 2 so perhaps 3 is much better in the RAM usage
department, but the iPhone has less than 100 meg of available RAM
(after the OS takes it's share) and no virtual memory.