Wanted: Managed root server for Valentina Office Server and VPHP in germany

Martin S. blackfin at elfenherz.de
Mon Apr 28 07:29:59 CDT 2008

Thorsten Hohage schrieb:

> On 2008-04-28, at 13:32, Martin S. wrote:
>
>> Ruslan Zasukhin schrieb:
>>> On 4/28/08 12:44 PM, "Martin S." <blackfin at elfenherz.de> wrote:
>>>  Actually this is not true that vserver requires only ROOT.
>>>
>>> I think we can discuss this issue, and may be this is just deal of
>>> one more
>>> bash script to be prepared for VSERVER Linux.
>>>
>>> Or they can just read existed bash script and do it manually if they
>>> are
>>> good experts.
>>>

>> Ok, I'm no Linux expert at all.
>> Can you provide me an example, step by step, how to install VServer
>> without root-access?
>> On a managed server, you don't have root access. So you cannot use
>> ldconfig or copy to /usr/local/bin/ or create something in it.
>
> I think there is a big, big difference between a (Linux-) Server with
> no "root" access and a VIRTUAL HOSTING. While technical a virtual
> hosting is some how the same, like a server with no root access, it's
> from the point of the selling companies ways different.

I think you have misunderstood me :)
We do NOT have VIRTUAL HOSTING, we have a MANAGED SERVER, a whole
machine for us ALONE and NO OTHER customers are on that machine.
The only difference between this machine and a "true" root server is
that security updates are "managed" by the ISP. So we do not have a root
access.
But they refused to install the VServer after checking because it's too
risky in their eyes.