V4MD Noob: VOID instead of Vset with zero records?

Marc Schmitt Marc_Schmitt at gmx.de
Mon Apr 21 17:14:11 CDT 2008

Hi Sean,

I agree with you that you should check value-types.

But, just to clarify my point of view: Let's say you manipulate a string and the resulted string would have zero characters in it, would you expect that this result becomes an 'undefined' object and had lost all its string-functionality? And then you would have to substitute this undefined object everytime with a handmade empty string?

If the result of an empty Vset would be e.g. FALSE or a symbol with the value #nil, #null (or whatever...) you would have a fast and easy option to determine if theResult is a zero-records-set or a destroyed/undefined object.

But I understand now that lingo-VOID in this case is used as loosley equivalent to a zero-pointer, but I don't like that. :)

Best regards

Marc