V4MD Noob: VOID instead of Vset with zero records?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Apr 21 13:04:19 CDT 2008

On 4/21/08 6:28 PM, "Marc Schmitt" <Marc_Schmitt at gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Marc,

> I'm using Valentina V4MD 3.5.2 and I'm coding in API-style (Dir 10.1 WinXP).
>
> Late in December '07 I reported a bug: Director crashed, when the result of a
> search resulted in an array set with 0 records. A few days later this was
> stated to be resolved. Unfortunately, the concerned project was on hold since
> then and for now, I am just starting to continue the work on this project.
>
> Now I stumble over the following problem:
> When the result of a search should be a VbitSet with zero matching records, it
> returns VOID instead. Is this a common problem, I didn't find information
> about that on the mailing list so far..?
>
> While I am still a valentina and db-beginner its hard for me to find out, if
> this one is a feature or a bug? :)

Well, few comments :-)

1) I think you are very rare Director developer which have choose API style
of coding. Usually they prefer SQL and lists.

2) on C++ low level, the empty Set result we return as NULL over all engine.
    Reason of this - is to save RAM as much as possible as well as
    we avoid construction/destruction of empty set.

I think this logic was copied into V4MD. So I tend consider this as feature
:-)