Open Database on Server

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:26:34 CDT 2007

Hi Beatrix,

I think you are missing the point of mine and Ruslans answer.

(Of course maybe we are missing your point :-))

The methods I sent you work with a VServer that can be on the same
machine or on the internet. I am sure they work as I use them on a
daily basis.

Let me reiterate the way to connect to a server:

1) you setup a connection for the VDatabase object. This is the
"path" to the database.
So in pseudo code
x = new VConnection(all paramaters for the connection)
x.Open
if x.IsConnected then
VDatabase(x)-----> passing the path to the new instance of VDatabase,
now VDatabase knows where to send the open command. It has a "path"
dim f as folderitem
f = GetFolderItem("name of the db you want to open on VServer")--->
this has nothing to do with the regular use of a folderitem, it is
(for a VServer) just a method that is concurrent with what you do
when talking to a local database
VDatabase.Open(f)----> Since VDatabase has a Connection (x) he will
send the open(f) command to the VServer that is connected.

Hmm, hope this makes more sense now

Bart