SQL Confusion

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Oct 9 10:12:05 CDT 2007

On 9/10/07 3:51 PM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com> wrote:

> So what we TRY to do is updating a record through a stored procedure
> The first PROBLEM is that we cannot obtain a lock inside a stored
> procedure so we just must try an update statement that will fail
> (generate an exception) if somebody else already has a writelock on
> this record.
> There is currently no way to SET a lock on a record from within the
> procedure.
> So the only way of updating a record from within the procedure seems
> to be trial and error. And that is something I don't like....

And for future info:

As we have told we plan implement in Valentina 4.0
Transactions based on versioning.

This means that even if a record is READ LOCKED by some readers, other
WRITER still will be able change it inside of own transaction and COMMIT
that to DB.

The current schema of Pessimistic Record Locks will become out of date.
New schema of versioning will give us much better concurrency.