ORM Framework

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Mon Oct 1 15:34:04 CDT 2007

Hello Beatrix,

On 2007-10-01, at 19:28, Beatrix Willius wrote:

> - I know about two existing ORM frameworks. Thorsten: what is yours
> doing? Is it now ready for prime time? If not, when will this be
> the case?

Yes, I used it for several commercial projects and it's really
usable. After some necessary updates to Valentina THIS is a dream
team regarding speed.

BUT there is still no documentation, real samples, ...

And as Ruslan already "announced" at the moment I' totally unsure
about my further direction, especially using RB, there are so many
bugs (i.e. the new introduced external shared property bug)  and old
bugs ("automatic method renaming") ... the I spend more time to fix
RB bugs then to develop my framework

> - How do I go about writing my own ORM framework? Can I simply take
> one and translate it to Realbasic? So far I only read about those
> and never used a framework, so I don't know a good and not too
> complicated one.
If I would do it, I would look at Apples Enterprise Objects
Framework. It's the most mature and IMHO best O/R-mapping on the market.

But IMHO there is no real "easy" way to port this to REALbasic,
because even while RB is a OO-tool there are missing some key
features and implementing this on your own, means you're going to
really bite the bullet and you start moving more and more in your own
world instead extending REALbasic. Look at my framework and you're
going to get a picture what I mean.

To start it's perhaps better to look at Hibernate. It's not so mature
as EOF, IMHO EOF is better, but Hibernate is OpenSource and there are
tons more of documentation available.

> This is something I have thought about a longer time, but now it's
> really time to do something to my code. Any help will be appreciated.
Contact me of list if you want and we check what we can do to port
your current application to my framework.

> Using Realbasic 2007R3 on Mac and Windows.
If you really think about a redesign of your app you should use
2007R4 or even better wait for the 2007R5 beta! There will be really
important things deprecated and new bugs introduced.

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany