trouble with this select

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Nov 2 02:04:03 CDT 2007

On 1/11/07 10:14 PM, "Joseph Morgan" <joseph at checkos.com> wrote:

Hi Joseph,

>> BinaryLink is just one more link kind.
>>     in mySQL you did have only Foreign Key kind link.
>>     in Valentina we have 3 kinds now.
>
> I was just checking to see if I should set up a binary link.

Well, I'd recommend to start use Valentina features only AFTER you will
finish main switch from mySQL.

You need at first get overall working in your current design, then start
step by step refactoring IF YOU WANT.

>> SELECT departmentName as 'myDepartmentName',sum
>> (itemsales.itemsalesamount) as 'itemsalesAMT'
>> FROM departments,itemsales where departments._rowID =
>> itemsales.itemsalesdepartmentID
>> group by departmentName
>> order by itemsalesAMT Desc
>
> Correct me if I am wrong:
> There is a link: "where departments._rowID =
> itemsales.itemsalesdepartmentID"
> Would the use of a binary link be faster/more effective?

Yes, BinaryLink will be faster and more effective by disk space.
And even these ID fields can be trashed.

> Or is there already a binary link in place that I am unaware of? ( I
> never set a binary link  myself for these tables )

No no.

You need create BonaryLink self which links 2 tables.

> Or am I missing the whole point behind binary links?

Did you read this part:

http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=paradigma:public:en:documen
tation:vkernel:vlink:vlink

Also you will find interesting section of ARTICLES in our wiki/docs