Schema backwards compatibility

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Sat May 12 04:07:27 CDT 2007

Hi Guys,

on 11-05-2007 19:15, jda at jda at his.com wrote:

>> We  had  to remove that strictness a couple versions before.
>> Instead, it should be some record in warning log (if turned on) about
>> static-defined model mismatching .
>>

> Aha! That explains it.
>
> Is there any danger if the new table structure is just a superset of
> the older one? I mean, I added some fields but didn't remove any (I
> also increased some varchar field lengths from 1022 to 1044).
>
> I think the answer is no (except for the chance that text in the
> varchar fields might be clipped to 1022 chars if they were edited in
> the older version). Am I right? If so, it would make my life easier
> because users of mine who hadn't upgraded to the newer version (and
> table structure) could open and use databases made with the newer
> version.

I've followed very closely this thread since it affects my apps very much

It's really good news if apps can open slightly mismatching schemas the OO
way

Just I didn't notice when this happened since lately the check made by Vale
seemed to me to be stricter rather than larger

I'll do some tests here to see how much room Vale gives for that

Cool Runnings,
Erne.
--