Schema backwards compatibility

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:13:33 CDT 2007

Oh, euhm new technique for me...

But why would that not work.

I mean I suppose the mechanisme is:

1) you set the schemaversion of your db in the app where you alter
the schema (VStudio ?)
2) in your own app you check the schema of the "current" database
against the version of your app
  if schemaversion <> expected schemaversion then upgrade schema or
alert user ? ---> this is a method in your own app

Since , if I understand you correctly, you added fields to the schema
and if your app does not do a schemacheck, why would this not work?
Depending on how you programmed working with the db , your app may
never notice there are extra fields, so why would it complain ?

Probably it would be more problematic if you deleted fields your app
is expecting (still depending on how "save" you coded)

Maybe I totally misunderstood you, but then again its friday
afternoon and I worked hard :-)

hth

Bart