V4RB - Speed of Stored Procedures

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Fri May 4 00:41:46 CDT 2007

On 04/05/2007, at 2:42 PM, Claudius Sailer wrote:

> at the moment I have in RB a function where I build my SQL-
> Commands. After that I send the build Select-Statement to the
> database an generate a cursor. Whats happen with the speed, when I
> store this SQL-Commands as stored procedure in the database and
> call it with variables to get a cursor again. is this then faster
> or slower then the old way?
> Or doesn't it make sense to use stored procedures?
Following up on this, I have an app where I save two rows for every
insert.

One goes to the main table and keeps a single copy of the record and
the other goes to a 'history' table where versions of the entries are
kept. I simply do two inserts now and I'd be interested if a stored
procedure or trigger would be faster than calling two inserts
statements.

cheers

kim