[VCOM]First search takes too long time (was: Missing basic features? ROADMAP)

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Thu Mar 22 14:54:27 CDT 2007

> > Moreover, I also find that .FindEndWith and .FindContain NOT do a
> > proper search, .FindEndWith seem to find just 1 last
> character, so if
> > I search for "a" it find words ending with "sa", but if I
> search for
> > "sa" it finds nothing. .FindContains seem to find words only that
> > start with search key BUT also if that word is in a filed with more
> > then 1 word. Like "land" finds "Stocking Lands" but NOT
> "Sunderland".
> >
> > And they all take very long time first search, even if if I
> search DB
> > with FindValue first, which is instant.
> >
> > This _must_ be a bug in Valentina or at least VCOM.
>
> So we have way to reproduce this ?

Ok some update on this and some mysteria solved. I see now that empty object
not being "empty" (Nothing) now seem to be solved with 2.5.8 - very good
news. I am sure I had this in 2.5.6 although Kiril couldn't reproduce it,
maybe he tested in later version were it had got fixed somehow.

As for strange search results with .FindEndsWith and .FindContains, I
noticed that I somehow had made the first char in search key UPPER CASE and
this seam to have caused the results I got above. I have

.CollationAttribute(kStrength) = kSecondary

set, according to docs this is "ignore case but differ accents" but
Valentina doesn't seem to honer this. Because, converting the search key to
Lower Case solved the search for these two above. However, now FindStartWith
doesn't work as a result of this. It never find anything as all record for
this field start with Capital (Upper Case) letter. So bug here,
.CollationAttribute(kStrength) = kSecondary is not honored, this also True
for FindValue when searching for string (VarChar in this case).

Also still very long response time for first search after reboot remain for
these 3 Find calls.

I saw 2238 now was closed, I suppose because the initial issue is resolved.
So I have open 2 new bugs for the above issues:

2267 Valentina doesn't honor .CollationAttribute(kStrength) = kSecondary in
searches
http://www.valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=2267

2268 First search after reboot takes very very long time, then instant.
http://www.valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=2268

Joakim