[DISCUSS] Missing basic features ? ROADMAP

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Wed Mar 21 11:41:41 CDT 2007

Yes please there are still a few issues (at least in VCOM) that I still
haven't got time to exploite fully. Bug #2238 is one, I think this still
apply but as Kirill say he cannot reproduce I must look further on this.
Remember though I had computer crash loosing almost a week.

Also other issue (not in Mantis yet) is I notice on very fists search in
(big) db it takes very long time to respond (10-15 sec) while it afterwards
is absolutely instant althoug 500 000 records. I think this started with
2.5.6 or 2.5.5. However, this morning I sent out new beta to my No.1 beta
tester and he said no response was so long once he had to stop program with
Task Manger, so here is something that shouldn't be and I will try to dig
deeper into it.

> After this I think we will stop work on 2.x and will start
> produce 3.0 betas.
>
> How it sounds ?

It sounds good but as the 3.0 betas probably will be around for a while
until stable I think it's valueble to not close 2.5 branch completely but
being able to address fundamental bug. As the delay issue above is
absolutely unacceptable in a Final version I will release, it just shouldn't
take this time to hear back from valentina but still I cannot tell if this
is valentinas fault or not.

> Support both branches in the same time is too hard and time consuming.
> Right now I keep at least 2 computers for main branch, while
> other developers work in 3.0 branch. But I also want
> participate in 3.0 :-)))

Well I think it depends on what you mean by "support"? I just purchased a
new 320GB HD and it costed almost "nothing" and I think such disc must have
space for many branches of Valentina... By support you don't neccesarrily
need to actively developing a branch BUT have it in store AND IF NEEDED
address a major issue - especially when there will be a longer time to next
stable release, which probably will need a few revisions before it's really
stable.

Regards,

Joakim