[DISCUSS] Missing basic features ? ROADMAP

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Wed Mar 21 09:34:11 CDT 2007

On 2007-03-21, at 14:51, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Also we dream about such VSERVER related features as:
>
> * UDP instead of sockets, they say this will improve speed
>     about 2 times if Vclient and Vserver are on the same computer.

Sounds really good.

> * Client-side cache.
>
>     OO DBMS claims that RDBMS cannot have it.
>     We do not see technical problems to implement it for VServer
>
> * Asynchronous connections between Vclient and Vserver
>     like have Postgre. So Vserver can send events to Vclient.

Keep in mind, that you need one more feature IMHO to use the cache
and for many more situation, that also can be improved through
"Vserver can send events to Vclient" - messaging / notifications.

When implementing cache systems on not real-only-systems there is
always the difficult to decide between using as much cache or as much
actual data as possible. Solution might be, that a client can
"subscribe" to some data (record, table row, ...) and get a
notification when this data is changed / deleted on the server.

Now the client have two options depending on the type of application:
Reload the data in background, so that always all data in cache is
actual OR do an invalidation of the data and knows that the data must
be refreshed the next time these data is requested.

Of course all this can be done separately, but why build an
additional own communication over the network, when the database
connection is already there ;-)

> * Better User/Group control and permissions control.

Would be nice, but if you asked me I prefer the stuff above much,
much more ;-)

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--