[DISCUSS] Missing basic features ? ROADMAP

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Mar 21 07:32:45 CDT 2007

On 21/3/07 12:16 PM, "Kim Kohen" <kim at webguide.com.au> wrote:

Hi Bart,
Hi Kim,
Hi Everbody,

>> I keep being surprised that (in my eyes) basic stuff doesn't seem
>> to be implemented.

>> I know most of this stuff can be worked around by doing it
>> ourselves in our API's but still....

> €€€€
> This one I can see as it appears to go against SQL92.

> Valentina surprises me every day:)  Sometime for what it can't do and
> often for what it can. It's quite an eclectic and quirky product but
> strangely alluring...

I'd like discuss this a lots and hear your feedback!

* So point is:

    - Valentina should follow SQL92, SQL99, SQL2003 standard.
        If standard say something we shold do that.

    - sometimes some places can be EXTENDED but still to be
        not against of standard.

    - and can exists features totally missing in standard.

* Bart, what BASIC features you miss?
    Please give us list of the most important for you.

* Kim, also please inform us what you want from Valentina but it can't do.

* Everybody else can do the same. I.e. Regular question is:
    what is 3 dream features?

----------------
Also I want inform you about our current state and plans.

* we have implement in Valentina 3.0 branch
    - VServer Event Scheduler
    - SQL: BACKUP DATABASE command
    - Views, read only
    - Triggers on INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE  BEFORE AFTER FOR EACH ROW
    - Triggers on INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE  BEFORE AFTER FOR EACH STATEMENT
    - Triggers INSTEAD for views
    - Stored Procedures near to mySQL level

----------------
* for say 3.1
    we will add support of LOG file, which can monitor all changes
    and be applied to latest BACUKP.

* and then all efforts will be directed to implementation of transactions,
    commit, rollback, auto-recover. Special timestamps fields,..
    ALL this should go into Valentina 4.0

* parallel we can and should improve such things as
    - more field types
    - more index types
    - improve of links
    - support of refactoring for different link types
    - table inheritance

-----------------
About Valentina Studio.
    you can note that right now present few disabled on default plugins
        JavaScript
        ScriptEditor
        wxJS
        Forms (in the next naerest build I think)

All together these plugins will move Valentina Studio to at least FileMaker
level.

Also we need yet:
        Develop powerful preferences.
        Diagram Editor - for visual creation of table and links.
        Report tool
        SQL Builder - we have ideas how improve it a lots.
        more.