Real World Database Solutions build with Revolution?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sat Jun 23 09:55:38 CDT 2007

> no, I don't need any technical help at the moment and I'm
> really fine with Valentina :-) - BUT
>
> I need to find a fitting tool for an upcoming project. That's
> not that easy as it will look on the first glance. My current
> main tool is REALbasic or better my application-framework
> based on REALbasic.
> I'm familiar with Java and did many projects with WebObjects.
> But that are the "big platforms" as my customer claims. He's
> thinking more about the low level tools and hope is able to
> do small customizations on his own (no - you really don't
> need to comment on this!). I know FileMaker very, very well
> and build several real big application and my only conclusion
> is, I'm NOT going to use it, furthermore I'll becoming some
> arguments with Ruslan (*fg* - just kidding), same for 4D.

How important is cross-platform?

> A Web-App is a no go, too - due to requirements. I know Ajax
> and Web 2.0 and ... but it MUST be a "real" application. So
> I'm looking for a tool in the "lower-mid-range" between
> FileMaker and the "big ones"
> and of course, I want to use Valentina Server.
>
> I checked the RunRev sides, watch the tutorials, check
> references and ... anything available on the net. But I
> didn't found any real world ERP-solution, POS, invoicing, ...
> build with Revolution. Of course many eLearning, multi-media,
> games, tools, audio-apps, ...
> nice and -hm- small, nothing I'm thinking about.

There are some pretty big projects - the University of Vienna uses a RR
built app to manage their thousands of staff members. I know Paul Looney has
an inventory/sales system built in Rev that sells around $50-$70K a license
to large corporations.

> So I asked if there is anybody here on the list, that has
> ever done such an application, or even heard of it, or knows
> somebody who has heard of it? Or in the other way, does
> anybody failed in using Revolution for such a task?

Trevor Devore might be a good person to ask. He came to Rev from the world
of Director and is familiar with many tools.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software