Feature request: Collation settings on connection level

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:30:28 CDT 2007

Table Structure is like this

T1 Languages(fld_Lang)
T2 Modules(fld_mod_id, some other fields with non-language related
info (numbers,ids,...))

T3 Modules_Translated
(id,fk_modid,fk_language_id,title,description,......)

Now the german speaking person logs in and retrieves  a module AND
the appropriate (in german language id) Modules_Translated.
Same for the french guy (retrieves the french records)

now I need the Modules Translated german result set order collation
'german', and the Modules_Translated french result set collated french.

Even in a less complicated setting where user first and lastnames are
stored, the french guy when retrieving this records expect them to be
ordered 'the french way' and a german wants the 'german' way (don't
get me started on 'the greek way' :-))

now for this last example I think your suggestion works
TIP:
     you can make virtual field (Table Method) and specify
     for it other location, then its index will be DIFFERENT.
     Payment for this -- overhead to maintain this index.

I don't really see how I can specify for a field a collation but will
look into it

I understand your problem, but I am sure I worked with databases
(don't remember which one) that permitted me to define indexes for a
given collation and let me specify what index to use when doing a sort.

Bart