Using Binary Link or Object Pointer?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jun 10 05:03:32 CDT 2007

On 10/6/07 12:57 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

>> Now I think, it
>> could be a nice way to keep working only with binarylinks.
>
> agree
>
>> If you
>> succeed optimizing the binarylink 1:1 and 1:M, do you think, my code
>> will work fine after your update of the link-code?
>
> Yes of course.
>
> The first db.open() will convert your current 1:1 and 1:M binary links into
> new format. All rest will be the same

Btw, into Mantis David Parizek have add great feature request:

    support of binding for Links SQL command also.

We also will try add this into 3.1

So 3.1 build is going to be MAJOR improvement of VLinks features.

Also I'd like to think about easy and effective way of CHANGE link, e.g.
>From {1,3} to {1,5}.

In FK and ObjectPtr cases we get this with help of single UPDATE.
Although this is true only for 1:1 and 1:M cases

For MM case FK and ObjectPtr way already require more complex job.

So idea is:
    find SQL syntax for Links to be able do this operation in SINGLE command
    e.g.

We have now LINK / UNLINK commands

May be we can improve it as

    LINK (1,5) INSTEAD OF (1,3)

Although more natural not mention recID = 1 two times..

    LINK 5 to 1 INSTEAD OF 3

We will think yet ..