Using Binary Link or Object Pointer?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jun 10 01:21:53 CDT 2007

On 9/6/07 11:07 AM, "Jochen Kötter" <jochen-koetter at gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Jochen,

> I read, you prefer Binary Links when using m:n relation and
> ObjectPointers when using 1:m relation. What is the advantage in
> using ObjectPointers instead of BinaryLinks for 1:m ?

Ivan have give answer but I need correct something.

1) Compare ObjectPtr 1:M   vs BinaryLink  1:M

Problem is that right now BinaryLink is implemented to be able support
general case up to M:M. And there is no yet optimizations for 1:M and 1:1

I.e. Right now BinaryLink 1:M will be worse of ObjectPtr 1:M by disk size
usage and speed.

Good news here is that we work last week to improve Links. Although this
week we have work to introduce new feature:
        "Refactoring of links"

You can read something here:

<http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=paradigma:public:en:docume
ntation:vkernel:vlink:vlink>

See section near down of page

And I think that next week we can also improve this issue with optimization
of BinaryLink.

2) Assume we get this optimization on hands.

Then BinaryLink 1:M will have totally the same SIZE and SPEED as ObjectPtr.
    Byte to Byte.
    Second to Second.

Then we get really interesting ability. From this moment,
We can start totally avoid to use ObjectPtr fields, and ALWAYS use
BinaryLinks.

This optimization have point year ago Ed Kleban on this list btw...

3) why it will be great to use BinaryLink instead of ObjectPtr?
    see article "BinaryLink Advantage" on the above URL

Main advantage we get is -- that Tables are NOT INFECTED by info about links
to other tables around!!!

We get then CLEAN DB DESIGN. Table Phone contains only info about PHONE,
And there is no any PersonPtr or foreign Keys or Primary keys.