Multi-record insert/append using sub-query list - and Binary Links

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jul 19 09:35:06 CDT 2007

On 19/7/07 4:52 PM, "Sims, John (CDC/CCHP/NCBDDD) (CTR)" <ayu8 at CDC.GOV>
wrote:

Hi John,

> Hi Ruslan and Barry,
>
> One word of caution for this solution.  I believe it would fail in a
> multi-user environment.  If 2 users add records at the same time, you
> don't know what you are going to get linked to what.

Its possible make little more complex for this.
Use not BOOL but INTEGER. Each user use own number.

And have table that keep incremental counter which each user obtain at
first.

> Perhaps we should re-open my request for SQLExecute to return an array
> of affected RecIDs ;-)

> Then, perhaps you (Ruslan) could add to Valentina a
> LinkRecords(PrimaryRecID as Ulong, RecordsToLink() as Ulong) option.
> Then to link the records, you pass your returned array of affected
> RecIDs along with the Record you want to link to.
>
> Something like that???

:-)

Right, today reading Barry question, I have to think:

* it is somehow stupid INSERT 100 records, e.g. Into table of million
records, then use again

        SELECT      .... WHERE some flag

To locate these 100 records.

Much more wise will be to get ability to get this SET/ARRAY/LIST of records
on hands and later use it again when needed.

I.e. This bring  us to idea of CONTAINERS for Valentina engine.