Multi-record insert/append using sub-query list - and Binary Links

Barry G. Sumpter BarrySum at BigPond.Net.AU
Thu Jul 19 00:05:49 CDT 2007

Just had a flash.

If I could somehow identify the records just inserted into OldOrders as NOT
having a Binary Link and then Updateing each of those with

LINK RECORD(1) OF Shops
WITH RECORDS
(SELECT OldOrders.RecID on Orders_1_M_OldOrders where OldOrders.RecID = 0)

??????

-----Original Message-----
From: valentina-bounces at lists.macserve.net
[mailto:valentina-bounces at lists.macserve.net] On Behalf Of Barry G. Sumpter
Sent: Thursday, 19 July 2007 2:38 PM
To: 'Valentina Developers'
Subject: Multi-record insert/append using sub-query list - and Binary Links

Hi all,

INSERT INTO OldOrders ( order_num, order_date, amount )
SELECT order_num, order_date, amount
FROM orders
WHERE order_date < '01-JAN-90'

Lets say that the sub query returned 100 orders records.
Lets also say that the OldOrders table has a binary link of 1 to M with a
shop table.
i.e. each shop has many many OldOrders

is there a way to update the binary link with the same Insert?

If not, any suggestions?

I'd rather not have to execute a single Link Record command for each of the
100 order records.

Thanks