SQL Commands for creating Binary Links from Legacy Link values?

Ivan Smahin IvanSmahin at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jul 14 01:49:50 CDT 2007

Hello Barry,

Saturday, July 14, 2007, 3:12:27 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Bart and any who care to comment,

> I did read that page but felt it need more explanation as to it purpose.

> As originally mentioned there are only the logical field values that match.

So you have key candidates already. Why not just to build RDB link?
Later you can convert it to the BinaryLink for example.
But if you have "natural" keys why do you need BinaryLink at all?

> There is NO current Valentina key created.  Other than the RecIDs.

There is no problem to create ones.

> Where the "COPY LINKS FROM src_link_name TO dest_link_name"

> I believe valentina expect src_link_name to be some sort of pre built
> Valentina key.

Valentina  expects  the  source  link  there.  Creating FK constraint,
RDB-link with the same name is creating also.

> So I looking for the procedure to get these tables into a Many to One Binary
> Link.

> CREATE BINARY LINK
>      Binary_Link_T1_M_1_T2
>          ON TABLES (T1, T2) AS MANY TO ONE             ???

So  you  are  going  to  split single logical operation (Create linked
pairs) and each query fill the link partially in some way?

But why you need it?
We  assume  that  logically  two tables are linked. So we mean that we
have some virtual RDB-link. I don't see the problem to create RDB-link
here.

> Or am I jumping to far ahead in the procedure where I would need
> To create Valentina forein keys first?

You  should  create  FK first. Then you can convert this link into any
link kind.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc