We'd certainly welcome some help with the wiki

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Jul 8 08:20:23 CDT 2007

On 08/07/2007, at 10:21 PM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

> When we had PDF-based documentation, we could have kept PDF file
> specific to each release. However, this is not possible with online-
> only documentation.
I agree. I've always hated the wiki docs. They're very poorly
organised and it's difficult to find anything. A search result often
returns a link to a page which links to another page before I get
what I want.  There is far too much hyperlinking in the wiki!!

Here's an example - go to the wiki and search for 'faq'. It returns @
30 results and they're not categorised. I click on the Kernel FAQ and
it's in German (but not identified as such). Now, do I need the
database FAQ or the Kernel FAQ, or is it the RB FAQ. Click a bunch
more links etc etc until I get p#ssed off and give up - arrgghhh!

if you want to use a wiki it should return the FAQ's. It should know
from the web site language which language FAQ to return. Then is
should present a list of FAQs which includes everything nicely
separated on the page with links at the top which point to
information below. At least this way we can use the browser to search
and we could print a PDF if we choose.

I'd be happy with a PDF addendum to the v2 PDF's. Some sort of
document with the changes and sample code applicable to v3 would be
great.  You guys have to make it easier to want to change - at the
moment it's only the dedicated who'll persist.

And I'd like to see one web site rather than two. One good site where
everything can be found will make things less confusing.

cheers

kim