3.0->3.1 client question

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Mon Jul 2 05:29:05 CDT 2007

Hi Ivan,

On 2007-07-02, at 11:36, Ivan Smahin wrote:

> Hello Thorsten,
>
> Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:31:39 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>> On 2007-07-02, at 10:16, Barry G. Sumpter wrote:
>
>>> Any VDB v3.0 opened with any v3.1 kernel will update the database.
>>> Not just VS.  i.e. thru code as well.
>>>
>>> BOTH VDK 3.1 AND VSTUDIO 3.1 are available for download.
>
>> What happened if a deployed server is running on a VServer 3.0.x and
>> a REALbasic-Client connected to it, where  V4RB 3.1 is used?
>> Especially when I don't want or better don't be able to update the
>> server but want to provide the new client for newly installed 3.1
>> VServer.
>
> Actually  you  will  get  "wrong  packet  version" exception trying to
> communicate with VServer version early than 3.1
> We are sorry, but it  was very urgent and important fix and we
> believe such changes will
> not be introduced too often in the future.

But this is really BAD, so I need to keep two versions of REALBasic
or change the V4RB plugin depending on the server version of the
customer! I need to do deploment test twice and so on and so on.

What about a switch, so one can configure V4RB with a parameter like
mySQL "use_old_password".

The changes are really welcome, due to security, but keeping two
version will for now kept my away to update!!!!

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany