Paradigma Wants You - Valentina Community Server

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Jul 1 08:35:10 CDT 2007

On 01/07/2007, at 10:25 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Paradigma do this step making free offer of
>     { Valentina Community Server + VPHP }
> To try fight on ISP and WEB segments against mySQL and Postgre.
I imagined that might be the logic behind it and I hope it helps
valentina gain some presence in the ISP space.

> * Now you can develop V4RB / V4MD solution, and OFFER/EXPLAIN/POINT
> to your
> customers that they CAN get also PHP based liunx solution around
> VSERVER for
> free. Note, Valentina Community Server is UNLIMITED by connections !!!
> Valentina Office Server UNLIMITED costs $1500 in contrast.
I guess that's where I see the problem.

Imagine I have a client with an RB solution and 10 users. I can get a
10 user version of Office Server but they can't use the same machine
for the web unless they buy more connections. If they get a Linux
server, they can use as many web connections as they like. Huh? So
we're telling them to set up a second server even though they might
be running an XServe which supports unlimited web connections.

Now I just read you reply about getting an OSX or Win Community
Server but that's missing the point. I think we should be able to use
the SAME server to host apps and serve the web - without clients
having to buy extra connections for PHP.  If you released OSX VCS
they'd still have to buy a second server to get unlimited web
connections, and I'd have to kludge together a way of syncing them.
It's illogical and I'd have a hard time explaining it to clients.  I
can see them already shaking their heads in disbelief at having to
run TWO servers per application.

I still think PHP connections being added to Office/Embedded Server
connections suck. I know you believe VDN is only for application
developing but Web serving is such an integral part of databases
these days that PHP connections should just be free - and you're
basically conceding this with VCS. This is why there was so much
drama at FMP around version 4/5 - everyone wanted their solutions to
be on the web as well as connected with Filemaker - you can't
separate the two technologies.

  It should be like OSX Server, where you buy a 10 user version which
simply limits AFP connections but still allows unlimited Mail, Web
even SMB. By all means limit the RB etc connections but let the PHP
be unlimited.

cheers, and good night. It's getting late and I've got an early start
tomorrow.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........

kim