Paradigma Wants You - Valentina Community Server

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Jul 1 07:39:19 CDT 2007

On 01/07/2007, at 4:02 PM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

> Other ADKs cannot connect to VCS at all. It installs its own
> version of
> VPHP.
So are you saying VCS works ONLY with PHP?  Can't be connected to via
the Linux version of RB?

> Ive been under a pile but sometime soon Ill write something up
> about the
> implications of VCS to VDN. For doing consulting work, VCS is a viable
> alternative if all you need is web access and no support
It sounds like it's suitable for any web site - I'm just not sure why
I'd use it over MySQL given a non-commercial situation. I was
thinking of switching our web server over to Valentina but the PHP
restriction has always really bugged me - now it bugs me more. I
could use Linux for the web server and have unlimited connections and
no outlay but for OSX it appears I have to pay $199 for PHP and the
connections come off the server connections. At least with MySQL in
this circumstance I just use it for free and be done.

> Ill have to check with Ruslan on this -- that doesn't sound right.
> Ruslan?
Well unless it's changed in v3, or 3.1.  This is part of a reply to
Ruslan from August  2006 regarding PHP connections being part of the
total server connections:

==============================
I'm assuming for Valentina we would need 10 + 12 + 3 connections plus
whatever we felt necessary for the web part - maybe 10? How do we
determine what we need for the web site? - it's quite an abstract
concept to have user limitations on the web server. Would be great if
you charged a fixed amount for the PHP client and then didn't include
it (PHP) in the connection count. A bit like OSX Server can have
limits to AFP connections but always has unlimited web connections.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm in error.

regards

kim