Automatic Garbage Collection

Philip Mötteli philip.moetteli at econophone.ch
Wed Jan 31 15:23:33 CST 2007

Am 31.01.2007 um 21:12 schrieb Thorsten Hohage:

> this seems to be a post before my introduction to this list :-)

Well, it's still fresh.

> Regarding to the topic the whole Apple Dev Tech Talk today was
> under NDA, but I want to comment on two points

Yes, this question is kind of NDA. But on the other side, everything
is in the GCC CVS publically visible, though undocumented. You even
see it's use appear in the WebKit CVS.

> On 2007-01-31, at 16:16, valentina-request at lists.macserve.net wrote:
>
>> * should we only set some compiler switch or we need redesign code ?
> It depends massively on your code and the styl how you do it NOW.
> Even more is your code really Obj-C or C++???

It's only C++, isn't it Ruslan?

> It's not clear (and not announced as again and again pointed out
> today) IF GC will only works on "real" Obj-C2(!!) objects OR for
> all code.

Well, it seems to work on CoreFoundation structures and the
NSHashTable and NSMapTable work with pointers, that get zeroed out,
when declared weakly. So I'd say it must work with every kind of
pointer.

Re
Phil