Automatic Garbage Collection

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Wed Jan 31 14:12:18 CST 2007

Hi Ruslan
and all,

this seems to be a post before my introduction to this list :-)

Regarding to the topic the whole Apple Dev Tech Talk today was under
NDA, but I want to comment on two points

On 2007-01-31, at 16:16, valentina-request at lists.macserve.net wrote:

> * should we only set some compiler switch or we need redesign code ?
It depends massively on your code and the styl how you do it NOW.
Even more is your code really Obj-C or C++??? It's not clear (and not
announced as again and again pointed out today) IF GC will only works
on "real" Obj-C2(!!) objects OR for all code. So GC seems not to be
THAT big GC, but a we will sell many copies of Leopard feature ;-)

> * should we have provide 2 versions of framework or
>     GC-version should become single choice?

If you want to support GC then yes I'm afraid you need two different
version. All this cool stuff e.g. GC, 64bit, ... are ONLY and really
ONLY available for Leopard. You simply can not build for target
"Tiger" with this stuff.

While GC seems the "easy side", 64-bit transition of code looks
really hard. But again Apple is a  company and wants to sell boxes ;-)

Btw. it's so disillusioning to see all this fancy Leopard stuff and
then go back to work and open REALbasic.

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany