Automatic Garbage Collection

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 30 05:50:12 CST 2007

On 30/1/07 12:37 PM, "Philip Mötteli" <philip.moetteli at econophone.ch> wrote:

Hi Philip,

>>> Is there any decision underway, if VSDK will become GC-enabled?
>>
>> * do you talk now about Valentina for Cocoa? V4CC.framework?
>
> No.
>

>> * IF you talk about C++ SDK then note it is not a framework but set of
>> dylibs. So then it sounds on THIS LEVEL no need for Apple's GC.
>
> I don't think there's much of a difference. I'm afraid, but a
> framework is just a library wrapped together with its resources.
> Apart from that, the GC seems to apply not only to objects, but also
> to pointers. And that is what you basically use in a C++SDK, too.

I do not believe that EACH library now must be forced to be re-written with
GC. Right ?

Valentina Engine have own smart pointers system.
We NOT GOING and NEVER will use anything from Apple,
At least because we need to have cross-platform code.

>> * should we only set some compiler switch or we need redesign code ?
>
> Probably only a compiler switch.
> Here's the documentation:

If this is only a compiler switch to satisfy LINKER, then I do not see
problems.