V4MD: German Umlauts on Mac

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jan 17 07:40:58 CST 2007

On 17/1/07 3:30 PM, "Martin S." <blackfin at elfenherz.de> wrote:

Hi Martin,

>> It seems something must be down with
>>
>>     db.IOEncoding(  )
>>
>> ?
>>

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> IO encoding was the key, thank you for that little hint. I tried some
> things with it and now it works.

Please show exactly how you have use it.

> Can you maybe put a list into your documentation or link it as seperate
> download, what this property can be set at? (All encoding strings)

We (i.e. ICU) use ISO standard names of encodings.

Examples:

    Latin1
    Macintosh
    Windows-1251
    UTF8
    UTF-8
    UTF-16
    KOI-8

ICU is smart enough to recognize the same encoding via different aliases.

> What a pity, this usefull feature is not very well described in the
> docs, just mentioned in one single line.

I still wonder why V4MD mac/win itself was not able resolve standard
issue...

Or may be I know why.

Director itself support only MacRoman and table of mac/win conversion for
it. We use V4MD with single byte encoding, which can be any from 200+
encodings of the world except UTF16 (2 bytes) encoding.

So V4MD itself in conjunction with Vserver can handle encodings which
Director cannot. I remember that we have try to use V4MD + Vserver with
russian text and it have work (I mean between mac/win), while Director
itself again cannot handle Russian on default.

------------------
> Unfortunately, I got another problem: I structure-encrypted my database
> with Vstudio.

> When I call "db.isstructureencrypted()", it always returns zero. The
> same with "db.isencrypted()" and "db.requiresencryptionkey()". Maybe I
> did it at the wrong position in my code (just directly after db.open()).

Read WIKI pages about encryption. IT describe WHERE must be called encrypted
methods.

> What I want is to check if my database needs a structure-encryption-key
> before performing any SQL commands.

I will recommend you do full encryption/decryption calls right in Lingo.

Vstudio can have bug in this regard. It is 100% tested to be able open dbs
created by ADKs, but I am not sure if reverse direction was tested good.