V4MD: German Umlauts on Mac

Martin S. blackfin at elfenherz.de
Wed Jan 17 07:30:26 CST 2007

Ruslan Zasukhin schrieb:
> On 15/1/07 4:40 PM, "Martin S." <blackfin at elfenherz.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a V2 database with many words that contain german Umlauts.
>> My VServer_embedded runs on a Windows machine. When I connect to the
>> server with a Windows client (Director), everything is fine, but when a
>> Mac client accesses the database, all my Umlauts are scrambled.Storage
>> encoding of my database is UTF16. What do I have to do to display the
>> Umlauts correctly on the Mac without writing my own lookuptable in
>> lingo. (Mac and PC clients should be able to access the same server /
>> database)
>>

> Of course they must be able.
>
> Ivan, any ideas?
>
> It seems something must be down with
>
>     db.IOEncoding(  )
>
> ?

Hi Ruslan,

IO encoding was the key, thank you for that little hint. I tried some
things with it and now it works.
Can you maybe put a list into your documentation or link it as seperate
download, what this property can be set at? (All encoding strings)
What a pity, this usefull feature is not very well described in the
docs, just mentioned in one single line.

Unfortunately, I got another problem: I structure-encrypted my database
with Vstudio.
When I call "db.isstructureencrypted()", it always returns zero. The
same with "db.isencrypted()" and "db.requiresencryptionkey()". Maybe I
did it at the wrong position in my code (just directly after db.open()).
What I want is to check if my database needs a structure-encryption-key
before performing any SQL commands.

regards,

Martin