Killing the Cursor that Wouldn't Die

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Sat Jan 6 09:56:02 CST 2007

Greetings & Happy New Year,

I've got a bit of a problem.

I'm getting a 'record is locked' error when I try to find records
related to another record.

System tells me the record I'm looking for is 'locked'.

The record is being found with a RW SQL call.

It was found earlier. So I figured I needed to do a NL SQL call on
the same search criteria in order to unlock it before trying to find
it again. [Note: This has to do with changing views in RB, going from
FORM view to a LIST view and then back to a FORM view of the record I
was looking at before going to the LIST view of all records in the
found set.]

So I do the NL SQL. And I do another RW SQL on the same search string/
criteria. Then I get the 'record is locked' error.

Reading in the archives, I see where it is written that the cursor
will go away, and I presume the lock on the records as well, when the
cursor dies. What is the call?

I've tried theCursor = nil.

I've tried thisCursor = App.tDatabase.SQLSelect(sqlString,
EVCursorLocation.kServerSide, EVLockType.kNoLocks,
EVCursorDirection.kRandom).

Neither will release the previously found set of records.

How do you 'kill' the cursor so it 'dies'? I'm loath to use the .45
cal ACP on the computer....

Regards,

Chuck

P.S. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season.....