Hierarchical Data Storage

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Feb 12 03:35:02 CST 2007

On 12/2/07 11:21 AM, "Bart Pietercil" <bart.pietercil at gmail.com> wrote:

>> My vision of Hieararchy Binary Link is -- that it should be in
>> behind table
>> with this fields. So in fact you have:
>>
>>     Table T1 (productName)
>>
>>     Table of Link (parentPtr, childPtr, left, right)
>>
>> So this "link fields" are extracted from YOUR TABLE to make design
>> more
>
>> clean.
>>
>> MAY BE you can self implement this way...
>>
> Solution would look like this
>

> in a project
> Hierarchy Table
>
> having  (parentptr (selfjoin) ,left, right)
>

> T1..n(description of  AN entity within  A hierarchy)
>
> n number of 1:1 links From Tn to Hierarchy table

Bart, but sense HERE to use BinaryLinks ?!

I recommend to use ObjectPtrs

  Hierarchy Table
  having  (parentptr (selfjoin) ,left, right, T_parent_ptr, T_child_ptr)

Look, when if future BinaryLink 1:1 will be ideal,
It become preferable choice of DEVELOPER comparing to ObjectPtr in most
cases.

But ObjectPtr will NOT die!
In particular we will use it to implement INHERITANCE of tables.
In fact, ObjectPtr was born for inheritance.

Also we need implement mechanism of hidden fields and tables...

> Maybe solution would be cleaner if for every Tn I create a Tn
> Hierarchy table

You MUST do this I believe

> Yes, OK this is not finished but I definitely can work something out.
>
> THX Ruslan, good discussion

Thank you for raise this theme.