tables and binary links

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 13:29:37 CST 2007

On 9-feb-07, at 19:24, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Right now I'd recommend use
>
>     ObjectPtrs for 1:1  and M:1
>
>     BinaryLink      M:M to replace link-tables with 2 fields.

So are you saying that when you have had the chance to optimize the
code, the binary link will be preferable ?
In my eyes it feels like this design would be preferable because it
makes the database schema much more flexible. It feels like being
able to store joins to different entities on a as-needed basis.

OK That's clear.

I think I get the binary concept which feels very powerful

Two more questions

1) Also missing from the web page: Refactoring of links

Does the fact that you mention it means I can (if this would be
needed) refactor the structure of the db back to the relational model
(let's say a client changes engines from Valentina to Oracle ;-)) and
I need to convert the Valentina data to Oracle and I need to export
"linked based" Valentina to pk-fk engine. No problem ?

2)Switching between online Valentina Server and Offline local
Valentina DB.

Two things I read in the manual
1) when creating cursors in can specify that they are "serverside"
2)I just need to specify in the connection method that I connect to
local or Server database.

===> How are "serverside" cursors (defined in my code to optimize
speed) handled when I switched to the local version?
Transparently (I can just leave the "serverside" in the code, the
local db is smart enough to disregard it)
or do I need to work with "if Serverconnected then serverside else
normal behaviour" ? (I hope not)

TIA

Bart Pietercil

PS: Hope you don't mind me asking all those questions but we decided
to go with Valentina, in the beginning of a very big project, where
mistakes in design will haunt us for years.