3.0 and 2.x Valentina Upgrades and Renewals; Linux Additions

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Wed Apr 25 21:14:08 CDT 2007

G'day Lynn,

>  This may strike some users as
> unfair because you already paid for 2.X. The economics of providing
> ongoing
> support for multiple versions of an extremely technical product
> (even with
> the ease of systems to roll back fixes, that is only a portion of
> the total
> cost of supporting a particular version of Valentina) means that
> revenue has
> to offset the total cost of fixes - for those fixes to continue to be
> produced.
Rest assured this is not 'sour grapes' as my subscription is still
valid and I'm eligible for the upgrade to v3:)

I think the point needs to be made that some folks won't want to
upgrade to v3 not because of economics but because of stability. v3
is currently beta and will require a bit more testing before I'm
willing to commit it to production. My problem is I know of at least
one of my bugs which is fixed for v3 but is broken in 2.5.9 - which
creates issues with me releasing using v2.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to be conservative with my
approach to upgrading (as I am with all software products). I'm happy
to play with the v3 beta (and have generated v3 clones of my current
project) but my head tells me it would be better to have a stable
2.5.10 release available to me until I'm satisfied that v3 is stable
enough for production.

Having said all that, let's hope it's a fantastic and we can jump in
early.

cheers

kim