about 2.5.10 // Resolved 0002294: DB gets corrupted after schema change

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Apr 23 07:07:40 CDT 2007

On 23/4/07 1:02 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

Hi Robert,

>>> mmm... wouldn't it be nice to have some reliably stable 2.5.x as
>>>  solid ground for 3.0?
>>
>> We will consider this of course.
>> But time ...
>
> Remember our discussion about branching? It is exactly to avoid such
> dilemmas. If you have proper setup for branching, fixing the bug in
> 2.5.x branch requires a single CVS command to have it merged into
> 3.0.x branch, where this bug also exists most likely. You make
> current release more stable and don't sacrify time spent working on
> the next release.

All visa versa although.

* We have now TAG 2.5.9
* we have go forward with 3.0 in the HEAD/MAIN branch of CVS

* YES I can spend 1-2 days
    --> Extract totally all on date of 2.5.9
    --> create new 2.5.10 branch at this state
    --> merge fixes of few bugs
    --> produce build
    --> trash all
    --> return to main branch

This is steps of bug-fix release.

And, it is not so single command as reality shows :-)
After merge you never have believe you have not catch problems.

So we keep in each branch TESTS that corresponds to STATE of that branch.
And after merge we need yet make sure that tests are not broken.
So everything is not so simple as theory says :-)

* AND yes, it is possible to build to 2.5.10 even after 3.0 ship.
Although not sure that Lynn will agree that.