Bonjour and finding server

Bernet, Eytan eytan_bernet at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Apr 16 13:52:14 CDT 2007

On 4/16/07 11:36 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 16/4/07 8:37 PM, "Bernet, Eytan" <eytan_bernet at mcgraw-hill.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eytan,
>
>> My bigger concern is distinguishing from each server, so the issue I first
>> spoke about is paramount. When the machines have the same name, I am NOT
>> seeing the names with parentheses returned by " locateBonjourService"
>
> Mantis it with instructions to reproduce
>
> * take 2 computers
> * set in the ini file this and that
> * run 2 vserver on 2 computers. ... AND ...

Ok
I have tried this a few times, but I will again and report

>> Additionally, the bug I had reported and had been fixed has returned -
>> apostrophes are returned as "’" - can that be looked at? By default Macs
>> name the machine name as "<username>'s Computer".

Lets split this one off...

>> Lastly, I am not seeing
>> the PC on the network - note that PCs in our office do show up in iTunes, so
>> I know Bonjour services are working.
>
> You mean you do not see Vservers from WIN ???????
> I see them here.

No, I am not. There is only one bonjour port, correct? As in, if iTunes
shows up, so should Vserver, or am I mistaken on this?

> ----------
>> The reason I would like the IP address was laid out in my March 22nd email.
>
>> Because of the possibility of someone changing the identity of their
>> computer, I want to attempt to connect to the same IP and I would like to
>> store the IP. I imagine I could require unique naming for all machines if
>> all else fails.
>
> THIS IS WRONG IDEA.
>
> Please read about Bonjour ideas on developer.apple.com
>
> They say explicitly -- NEVER STORE direct IP.

Okay - no problem. I will always store the previous name. I think I will not
use the machine name but rather always use the "BonjourServiceName" to
identify uniquely machines.

Thanks Ruslan
Eytan